    Re: TCP RDMA option to accelerate NFS, CIFS, SCSI, etc.

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > True. You can do everything by processing headers... but the you need to
    > understand all the protocols that are amased over TCP. To do it in silicon
    > it will probably make sense for a subset.
    > RDMA is a general purpose solution and the user decides what to do with it.
    > You can look at it as a simple way to enable the protocl stack and the
    > application to completely separate the protocol state machine (defined by
    > headers and/or trailers) from the payload.
    >
    > As for the vulnerability to attacks with a good size RDMAID and some
    > imagination

    Why not apply the imagination to the writing of a zero copy TCP stack based
    on the current standards? It would be a lot more general and a lot more useful
    as
    it would work against unmodified servers.

    > you can get the same level of protection as with the TCP
    > sequence number (even a bit better because sequence numbers can be guessed
    > from context).

    Are you suggesting that the sequence number should no longer be used? Are you
    suggesting that the RDMAID and sequence number should be unrelated?

    If the sequence number is still used then the RDMAIN is simple additional data
    that
    can be used by the attacker. Just another farmyard of potential bugs to be
    investigated
    and exploited?

    If you are not going to use the sequence number, how does a system that doesn't

    support this option receive the data? If your aim is  to design a system that
    isn't
    backward compatible, why would anyone in there right mind support it?

    Aiming to keep the intellectual property rights, not backward compatible,
    dubious technical merit. ummm?

    Regards.