    From: Julian Satran [mailto:Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com]
    Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 10:50 PM
    To: Sukanta ganguly
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu; owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu; Robert Snively; 'Russell Lewis'
    Subject: RE: Are there any coming iSCSI HBAs? Preferably at 100Mb speed?

    We did run "informal" tests using Windows/Office+Personal-Web-server (a usual home/SOHO setup) on switched 100Mb/s (also common at home).
    The disks we attached to where better than the ordinary desktop IDE drives (we where using the now defunct 200i - but I have seen an inexpensive small array (looks like a larger brick two weeks ago at Fry's for $500 - if you put those behind a (not very old) PC running Linux you can have a decent and inexpensive home target). Webserver  and Office where showing better numbers - and the perceived response time on clients was better.

    Julo

    Sukanta ganguly <sganguly@yahoo.com>

    15/04/03 05:23

    Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, Robert Snively <rsnively@Brocade.COM>
    cc
    ips@ece.cmu.edu, owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu, Russell Lewis/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS
    Subject
    RE: Are there any coming iSCSI HBAs?  Preferably at 100Mb speed?

    Hi,

       For a diskless environment multiple other issues
    have to come into play, i.e Network based remote boot
    logic, proper downlod of enough Operating System code
    onto the diskless box etc.

       Julo, what kinds of numbers did you folks see ?
    What is your environment like ? I am a little
    perplexed with the high speed connection to the remote
    disks via iSCSI.

    Thanks
    SG