    RE: iSCSI Version Info: Version 1 and not 0

    Two corrections:

    > Parse RFC, Draft 20, 19, 18, 16, 13, 12, 11, 9, 8

    Should be:

    Parse RFC, Draft 20, 19, 18, 16, 13, 12

    > failure to support interoperability, keeping version 0 is just like craps

    Should be:

    failure to support interoperability, keeping version 0 is just like crabs

    Apology for the two errors.

    Andre Hedrick
    LAD Storage Consulting Group

    On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > It is a way to fast path login and know without having to play the draft
    > game.  My group can deal with the draft game, and splitting the paths to
    > have obsolete_login and rfc_login means a bunch.  Regardless if it is the
    > initiator or target who is suffering the burden.
    >
    > Version 0
    >
    > Parse RFC, Draft 20, 19, 18, 16, 13, 12, 11, 9, 8
    >
    > Version 1
    >
    > RFC
    >
    > Ditto for targets having the play games.
    >
    > In the past the version was boosted to force adoption and to place notice
    > of extinction/termination of the drafts.  Now step up and apply the same
    > rules now, and force the extinction/termination of older products which
    > jumped the gun, got it wrong, were useful to show the WG got it wrong and
    > move forward.
    >
    > The Storage Industry is the ultimate game of last man standing, prior to
    > iSCSI the SAN was ruled by few and splintered-broken protocol in terms of
    > failure to support interoperability, keeping version 0 is just like craps
    > in a bucket.  Version 1 allows everyone to escape the bucket.
    >
    > The big scream over "plugfests" for version 0 is still valid.
    > By allowing two versions everyone's requirements are met.
    > If nothing else it will force another "plugfest", but now it can be done
    > over the open internet where iSCSI rocks.
    >
    > I have had two targets on the open internet since draft 13 for testing.
    > This is where the new plugfest should be executed.  Remember "plugfests"
    > are for interoperability not for bragging rights of who is the fastest,
    > but for who is the most compatable.  I doubt there is anyone willing to
    > step up and toe this line, but I will.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andre Hedrick
    > LAD Storage Consulting Group
    >
    > On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Eddy Quicksall wrote:
    >
    > > I don't think changing the version number will help that. Because if any
    > > current software also talks to the early drafts, they have already figured
    > > out how to distinguish the difference in drafts.
    > >
    > > Eddy

Last updated: Wed Feb 26 09:19:12 2003
12376 messages in chronological order