    From: Mark Bakke [mailto:mbakke@cisco.com]
    Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 8:37 AM
    To: IPS
    Subject: Virus sent last Thursday - Anyone use RoadRunner?

    Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but I want to clear this up.

    Last Thursday I had received a lot of email responses from virus
    scanning software from recipients on the ips mailing list mentioning
    a virus that appeared to be sent by me.  Since I don't use Windows
    for email, it seemed odd that I could have sent anything.

    It turns out I didn't send it, but I want to figure out where it
    came from.

    Here's what happened.  The email to the ips list was sent from
    a machine at austin.rr.com (RoadRunner), with the From: line set
    to my address.  SMTP lets you do this; you can send an email that
    appears to be "From:" anyone you want.  Here are the recieve
    headers from the machines that sent to majordomo:

    with ESMTP id g7N3Koo15994 for <ips@ece.cmu.edu>; Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:20:51
    -0400 (EDT)

    (8.12.1/8.12.0.Beta16) with SMTP id g7N3OVDg010776 for <ips@ece.cmu.edu>; Thu, 22
    Aug 2002 22:24:32 -0500

    Does anyone recognize the account or host named cs24243252-119?

    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems
    mbakke@cisco.com
    763.398.1054