    RE: iSCSI: SRP groups in Security-14 strawman

    My main concern was that we don't allow more options than necessary; so picking either the SRP or the IKE moduli with their corresponding generators (one per modulus) seems OK to me.

    I do, however, share Paul Koning's desire to understand if there is an algorithmic advantage in using one modulus over another and hope, as does Paul, that somebody with the required background can be enlisted to shed some light on this.

    In hardware implementations of modular exponentiation I can conceive of potentially big impacts in the choice of base (generator) and modulus. Since the modular exponentiations for SRP and IKE are typically done in software and involve such large numbers I don't know if existing algorithms have taken advantage of optimizations that may be possible with certain choices of generator and modulus.

    Vince