    From: Julian Satran [mailto:Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com]
    Sent: Friday, July 26, 2002 1:33 AM
    To: kevin_lemay@agilent.com
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu; Julian Satran; pat_thaler@agilent.com;
    rdr@io.iol.unh.edu
    Subject: RE: iSCSI: Use of Reject as a key value

    Do you propose the formulate the standard so that it can tolerate all
    initiator syntax errors? Or just we state that it should be case
    insensitive.
    The first would be a bad idea. The protocol has enough complexity in order
    to deal with transport errors. It would be a bad idea to add
    implementation errors to the list.
    If you want case insensitivity - this was discussed and rejected a long
    time ago - again because it felt unnecessary.

    I would also like to point out that this is not a change. This behavior was
    always assumed (and implied in the statements about negotiations
    atomicity).
    The statement was added at the request of Bob Russell as a clarification.

    Julo

                          kevin_lemay@agile
                          nt.com                   To:       Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, rdr@io.iol.unh.edu
                                                   cc:       ips@ece.cmu.edu, pat_thaler@agilent.com
                          07/25/2002 09:59         Subject:  RE: iSCSI: Use of Reject as a key value
                          PM

    Julian,

    I think that this change is a bad idea.

    The spec says that:

    "If the acceptor sends "Reject" as an answer the negotiated key is left at
    its current value (or default if no value was set). If the current value is
    not acceptable to the proposer on the connection or session it is sent the
    proposer MAY choose to terminate the connec- tion or session."

    But what happens in the following case:

    i->ImmediateData=Yes
    t->ImmediateData=no (Note: wrong case used)

    The initiator must use the default, which is ImmediateData=Yes, and there
    is no way for the initiator to inform the target of the error because
    sending:
    i->ImmediateData=Reject would be a re-negotiation.

    This will not work!

    Kevin