    RE: iSCSI: v15 R2T and DATA-OUT

    Paul,

    It would also be a bad idea to add too many words to the protocol.
    The protocol is clear about field consistency.

    Julo

                          Paul Koning
                          <ni1d@arrl.net>          To:       rod.harrison@windriver.com
                          Sent by:                 cc:       ips@ece.cmu.edu
                          owner-ips@ece.cmu        Subject:  RE: iSCSI: v15 R2T and DATA-OUT
                          .edu

                          07/25/2002 05:35
                          PM

    Excerpt of message (sent 24 July 2002) by Rod Harrison:

    >            OK, it's been a long day. Let me try this one more time.
    >
    >            I was write (almost) first time but I meant DATA-OUT instead
    of
    > DATA-IN. Here's what I meant to say ...
    >
    >            There is a potential inconsistency in the description of the
    use of
    > the LUN field in DATA-OUT and R2T in the working v15 draft.
    >
    >            9.7.3 Target Transfer Tag, for DATA-OUT last paragraph says
    >
    >            "If the Target Transfer Tag is provided, then the LUN field
    MUST hold
    > a valid value and be consistent with whatever was specified with the
    > command;"
    >
    >            9.8.5 Target Transfer Tag, for R2T says ...
    >
    >            "The Target Transfer Tag and LUN are copied in the outgoing
    data PDUs
    > and are used by the target only."
    >
    >            Potentially a target could return a different LUN field in the
    R2T,
    > for perhaps some funky LUN mapping or other internal reason expecting
    > it to be copied to the DATA-OUT as per the R2T text.

    I think that's a very bad idea and should not be permitted.

    If someone wants to do LUN mapping, that's fine, so long as it's
    transparent to the initiator.  To map a LUN and then let the mapped
    number leak out to the initiator is broken.

    >            I think we need to indicate what is expected of the initiator
    if the
    > LUN field in the R2T does not match the LUN in the command PDU.

    Given that the subject was brought up I tend to agree that the spec
    should say something.  I would prefer it to say that this is a
    protocol error.

                  paul

Last updated: Tue Jul 30 10:39:09 2002
11481 messages in chronological order