    RE: iSCSI: DLB's [T.6] 2.3 iSCSI Session Types

    This was subject to a long debate relate to SendTargets.
    The issue was that SendTargets was (with resistance) accepted as a
    "lightweight" discovery.
    We did not want in any way to encourage long-lived discovery sessions as
    there are other and better mechanisms
    to do so (SLP, iSNS) and iSCSI should not have a completely embedded
    discovery (going to IP storage
    should enable you to leverage other protocols for management).
    I will strongly oppose anything that encourages long lived discovery and I
    think that using the last call to reopen
    without any new argument an old and closed issue is an abuse of the
    process.

    Julo

                          "Ayman Ghanem"
                          <aghanem@cisco.co        To:       <Black_David@emc.com>, <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
                          m>                       cc:
                          Sent by:                 Subject:  RE: iSCSI: DLB's [T.6] 2.3  iSCSI Session Types
                          owner-ips@ece.cmu
                          .edu

                          07/08/2002 06:53
                          PM
                          Please respond to
                          "Ayman Ghanem"

    David,

    The issue that came up before was if a discovery session could be kept
    open,
    why not allow the initiator and target to send NOPs, and allow the target
    send Async messages when new targets become available?

    I don't mean to bring up this issue again at this stage, but using "MAY"
    leaves room for implementations that want to support this. If we allow NOP
    and Async PDUs on a discovery session, then changing "MAY" to "MUST" will
    be
    fine.

    -Ayman

Last updated: Wed Jul 10 11:18:58 2002