    Re: iSCSI: DH-CHAP and SRP groups

    Paul Koning wrote:

    >  Tom> Paul Koning wrote:
    >  >> I sent this earlier (April 10) as part of the note "DH-CHAP
    >  >> initial comments" but have seen no reaction, so let me try
    >  >> again...
    >  >>
    >  >> Section 9 raises the open issue of chosing the D-H group(s), which
    >  >> is also open for SRP.  It seems to me the same solution can be
    >  >> applied to both, which is to adopt the groups already adopted (and
    >  >> verified to have the right mathematical properties) for IKE.  In
    >  >> particular, "Group 1" would serve, and, if people insist on a
    >  >> bigger one, "Group 2".  I don't see a strong reason to include any
    >  >> of the larger groups which have been proposed in the context of
    >  >> IKE and AES.
    >
    >  Tom> SRP requires that the generator be a primitive root modulo the
    >  Tom> safe prime.  You can re-use IKE moduli, provided they are
    >  Tom> verified as safe primes, and choose primitive generators for
    >  Tom> "g".
    >
    > RFC 2412 says that they were indeed verified to be Sophie Germain
    > primes, which is another way of saying they are "safe" primes.
    >
    > As for the generator, is says to use the value 2.  It adds this note:
    >
    >    Because these two primes are congruent to 7 (mod 8), 2 is a quadratic
    >    residue of each prime.  All powers of 2 will also be quadratic
    >    residues.  This prevents an opponent from learning the low order bit
    >    of the Diffie-Hellman exponent (AKA the subgroup confinement
    >    problem).  Using 2 as a generator is efficient for some modular
    >    exponentiation algorithms.  [Note that 2 is technically not a
    >    generator in the number theory sense, because it omits half of the
    >    possible residues mod P.  From a cryptographic viewpoint, this is a
    >    virtue.]
    >
    > So is 2 an acceptable generator for SRP?  If not, why not?

    It depends on the modulus.  g MUST be a generator; omitting half of the
    possible residues mod P is NOT a virtue for SRP because it can lead to
    an attack.  For the IKE moduli, which are all 7 mod 8, g cannot be 2,
    and it usually ends up being either 5 or 7.  g^((N-1)/2) must be -1 (mod N).

    Tom

    --
    Tom Wu
    Principal Software Engineer