    Re: iSCSI: DH-CHAP

    On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Ofer Biran wrote:

    > Now - the WG should decide whether the 'IP issue' of SRP is a good enough
    > reason to replace it with another mandatory method, introducing this
    > deficiency. SRP was originally chosen over CHAP due to the risk of an
    > attacker obtaining the password. DH-CHAP only makes that attack 'networkly'
    > more difficult, but still possible. As I understand it, the IP situation
    > of SRP (free license of the actual patent, 'reasonable and
    > non-discriminatory' IETF statements for the patents that were brought up as
    > 'might be related'), according to the IETF policy, should not cause the WG
    > to change for something technically deficient.

    I do not agree that that interpretation is correct. The IPR policy is
    still at a position which will hinder iSCSI's incorporation in a number of
    areas. To be specific, I do not think we will be able to get iSCSI code
    with SRP in it into say the NetBSD kernel. I doubt it would go in the
    other *BSDs either. SRP == MUST will close a number of doors to iSCSI.
    Look at what happened with public key cryptography. The IPR issues
    hindered its use for years. Do you want that for iSCSI?

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Mon Apr 15 14:18:26 2002
9674 messages in chronological order