    Re: iSCSI: DH-CHAP

    David,

    I respectfully request that my name be removed from the acknowlegements
    section of <draft-black-ips-iscsi-dhchap-00.txt>, as it might otherwise
    lead people to mistakenly believe that I was a willing and active participant
    in the design effort.

    I am strongly opposed to designing a cryptographic authentication
    protocol with the deliberate goal to be vulnerable to active attack.

    For the record, I responded to an unsolicited draft that was forwarded
    to me in a private email, along with other comments, by one of the
    participants in this design process that was otherwise closed-to-me.
    My reply, out of courtesy to that participant, was exactly this:

    >Your comments were good, and I'd say that the draft looks to
    >be in good enough shape for the purposes of IPS discussion,
    >except to note that "passwords" are never mentioned.
    >
    >If serious cryptographic review were necessary, then I think a lot of
    >people would argue the point that the draft is necessarily
    >out of scope for IPS consideration today anyway.

    Apparently, those comments resulted in a draft that includes discussion
    about passwords.  However, evidence of serious cryptographic review
    remains to be seen, and seems problematic in light of the technical
    design goals.  In light of this, the motivation for this work, and my
    earlier public comments regarding closed vs. open design process,
    I hope you'll understand why I prefer to not have my name associated
    with this effort.  Thanks.

    Best regards,

    David Jablon