    iSCSI: DH-CHAP

    All,

    Please expect another email, from the Transport ADs, on the topic of

    SRP and intellectual property issues.

    As was discussed both in Minneapolis and over the reflector, there is

    concern over the MUST implement status of SRP, and the group is tasked

    with the responsibility of evaluating both SRP as well as other alternatives,

    to make the best possible choice(s) for the iSCSI authentication mechanisms.

    Mentioned in Minneapolis was the possibility of CHAP enhanced by use of a

    Diffie-Hellman Exchange.  David Black has authored an individual draft on

    this topic.  The DH-CHAP draft, draft-black-ips-iscsi-dhchap-00.txt has been

    submitted to the I-D servers and is also available at

    http://www.ultranet.com/~dlb237/ips/draft-black-ips-iscsi-dhchap-00.txt.

    The draft is an individual submission that the IPS WG is free to

    (quoting from the draft abstract) "adopt, modify, reject, fold,

    spindle, and/or mutilate as it sees fit".  Since David Black will be

    participating in the resulting discussion as an individual and author

    of the draft, and not as a WG co-chair, I will be the WG chair

    responsible for this draft and for determining WG rough consensus

    on this set of issues.

    The goal of this discussion is to determine the appropriate level

    of requirements (MUST/SHOULD/MAY implement) for the inband iSCSI

    authentication mechanisms (SRP and CHAP as specified in the

    iSCSI draft, DH-CHAP as documented above), and more importantly

    to come to consensus on a solid technical rationale for these

    requirement levels.  While I understand the level of frustration

    and impatience with this situation, I have a few requests to make

    of participants in this discussion:

    - Civility and respect for other members of the WG are virtues;

          please practice these virtues early and often.

    - Discussion of requirements levels (MUST/SHOULD/MAY) in the absence

          of technical rationale is an invitation to confusion.  Please

          summarize the technical rationale when advocating a requirements

          level.

    - Unbounded speculation about possible IPR claims is unproductive

          Each case in which the IPS WG has taken up discussion of a

          possible IPR claim has been based on existence of a patent

          or a publicly-disclosed patent application.  It is only

          appropriate to discuss possible IPR claims on the list when

          they meet this criteria.  Those with IPR concerns that do

          not meet this criteria should contact me directly off the

          list so that I can determine how to proceed in consultation

          with the Area Directors.

    Thank you all for your help on these matters.

    Elizabeth Rodriguez

    IPS WG co-chair

Last updated: Thu Apr 11 11:18:20 2002
9597 messages in chronological order