    RE: IPSEC target and transport mode

    On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 Black_David@emc.com wrote:

    > I need to clarify one thing in John's post --
    >
    > Transport mode was never an unqualified "MUST implement".  Rather
    > it was qualified in Huntington Beach as "MUST implement when RFC
    > 2401 says it MUST be implemented".  That difference is crucial,
    > as the following paraphrased Q&A from the Huntington Beach
    > meeting on this topic illustrates:
    >
    > Q: Is this a subterfuge to force FCIP to implement Transport mode?
    > A (David Black): No, gateway implementations would still be allowed,
    > 	and Transport mode would not be required.
    >
    > As I said earlier, in my opinion, WG rough consensus for an unqualified
    > "MUST implement" for transport mode cannot be obtained (e.g., see above
    > Q&A).  My current opinion is that the performance argument (one less
    > encapsulated header on the wire for each packet) for transport mode is
    > sufficient to justify only a SHOULD, not a MUST.  OTOH, Bernard's
    > "complicates routing considerably" argument could justify a MUST,
    > although I'm not sure whether the VPN/remote access considerations that
    > motivate it apply to IP Storage.

    I don't understand why we should soften the language. If a device looks
    like a host, why shouldn't it need to act like one?

    > Meanwhile, several problems with RFC 2407 have turned up in the area of
    > transport/tunnel mode negotiation -
    >
    > (1) Section 4.5 says that for transport/tunnel encapsulation mode:
    >            If unspecified, the default value shall be assumed to be
    >            unspecified (host-dependent).
    > 	That needs to be overridden to say that the default mode in
    > 	the absence of negotiation MUST be tunnel mode.  I have no idea
    > 	how text with such an obvious interoperability issue got approved.

    I think the idea is that you aren't supposed to not be explicit in what
    you want; you're supposed to list a mode always.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Wed Apr 03 13:18:16 2002
9450 messages in chronological order