    Re: iSCSI v8 CRC32c

    Luben,

    Your questions may have already been answered by Paul Koning who has
    apparently reviewed your code in detail but attached, as I promised, is a
    Mathematica worksheet (pdf format) that produces results consistent with the
    iSCSI spec. You do not need to know the syntax of Mathematica in order to
    follow the process, as I have inserted lots of comments.

    The example I describe uses, as data, 32 decrementing bytes. This is one of
    hte test cases in the iSCSI document. I have added an undetectable error
    pattern which does not change the results obtained at the receiver. I think
    it would be useful to include, in the iSCSI document, such an undetectable
    error pattern.

    I am considering writing an informative Internet Draft describing the
    process. I would incorporate the contents of the attached worksheet and also
    explain the theory behind the process. This should answer such questions as
    why is the expected remainder at the receiver the constant 1c 2d 19 ed in
    hex.  If you or others have suggestions let me know.

    For those not interested in the math I summarize the process below.

    Vicente Cavanna
    Agilent Technologies

    The symbols I use:
    ------------------

    G is the iSCSI CRC32c polynomial.

    L32 is the order-32 poly represting all 1s.

    F is the poly representing 32 decrementing bytes which I will use as my test
    data.

    ReflectedF is the poly representing F, after reversing the order of bits
    within each byte.

    R is the remainder of the division performed at the transmitter.

    ReflectedR is the poly obtained by reversing the order of bits within each
    byte of R.

    FCS is the complement of ReflectedR. This is the CRC that you would compare
    with the iSCSI document. In the case of this example of 32 decrementing
    bytes the FCS is a7 e4 e4 ae in hex.

    M is the transmitted message before injecting errors.

    Error is the error pattern that I add to M. I use G+x^5*G after applying
    reflection. Any linear combination of Gs will similarly be undetected.

    M* is the received message.

    ReflectedM* is M* with the order of bits within each byte reversed.

    Rec is the computed CRC at the receiver. You would expect 1c2d19ed in the
    absence of errors or if error pattern is undetectable as is the case in my
    example.

    The process, for the case of no errors, is as follows:

    At the transmitter:
    ----------------------

    F is the data.

    Reverse bits within each byte of F to obtain ReflectedF.

    Shift ReflectedF left by 32 positions.

    Add 1's to most significant 32 bits of the result (implemented by
    initializing CRC register to 1's).

    Divide by G to obtain the 32 bit remainderR. Note that R is not the CRC
    shown in iSCSI document!

    Reverse bits within each byte of R to obtain ReflectedR.

    Add 32 1's to the result to obtain the FCS (implemented by complementing).
    This is what is shown in the iSCSI document and, for this example, is a7 e4
    e4 ae in hex.

    Form the transmitted message, M, by shifting F left by 32 positions and
    adding FCS. Note that M is derived from F rather than from ReflectedF even
    though the FCS is computed from ReflectedF.

    M* is hte same as M since we are not introducing errors here. See the
    Mathematica worksheet for the case with (undetectable) errors.

    At the receiver:
    ----------------

    Receive M*

    Reverse bits within each byte of M* to obtain ReflectedM*.

    Shift the result left by 32 positions.

    Add 1's to most significant 32 bits of result (implemented by initializing
    CRc to 1's).

    Divide by G to obtain the remainder, Rec. The result (for the case of no
    errors) is expected to be the constant 1c 2d 19 ed in hex.

    In the Mathcad worksheet I actually introduce an undetectable error pattern,
    G+G*x^5, which I reflect and add to M to obtain M*. The rest is the same.
    Note that the error must also be "reflected". See the worksheet for details.

     <<TestingCRC32cDecrBytePattern.pdf>>

    TestingCRC32cDecrBytePattern.pdf

Last updated: Wed Nov 28 12:17:44 2001
7926 messages in chronological order