    Re: iSCSI: Out of order commands

    Mallikarjun,

    I did not see a SINGLE performance improvement that results from OOO
    shipping.
    I would be bad engineering to give away the "no-deadlock" mechanism we
    have now for nothing.
    I have also the impression that the point about deadlock that I keep
    repeating is ignored or not understood.
    As we stand today commands can be shipped with Immediate data or without
    and an implementer determined
    to squeeze maximum bandwidth and overlap command start with delivery will
    choose not to work with immediate data
    (as you have pointed out) while a low performance software implementation
    will use immediate data to minimize CPU cycles consumed.  However both
    will be guaranteed to work without deadlock as source and sink use the
    same ordering.
    Recovery is still a low probability event and should be handled with a
    different set of considerations in mind.
    As for the strictness of the recommendation - yes we could settle on
    SHOULD.

    Julo

    "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu