    Re: iSCSI: New iSCSI MIB draft

    Michele Hallak - Stamler wrote:

    > My answers in-line also:

    That should be possible; the iSCSI MIB would likely be the
    right place to do this for many implementations.  This could
    work one of two ways, depending on the implementation:

    - The management station could add the IP address via the iSCSI
      MIB, and have it automatically be added on the host or device.

    - The managment station could add an existing IP address (one already
      configured on the host or device); adding it here would make it
      usable by the iSCSI implementation.

    Incidentally, should we add something like iscsiTgtPortalSource
    to these structures?  This would be an enumerated type indicating
    whether an address was statically configured, or discovered through
    DHCP.

    > 2. in another way, a portal has some relation to a specific interface
    > (IP Address/MAC Address) and for that relation we need the IP-MIB (if
    > I'm not wrong)

    Technically, we don't need to do this; the relationship between
    an IP address and a physical interface is typically an indirect
    one that makes use of the host or device's routing tables.  However,
    anything supporting iSCSI ought to have all of the TCP and IP MIBs
    anyway.

    > 3. so it should be specified clearly: can we define "new ip addresses"
    > via this MIB or only use the existing IP defined in
    > ipNetToMediaTable?

    Good question for debate; it can be done either way.

    > 4. anyway, IMHO, it should be the only standard way to define a new
    > iSCSI TCP Port.

    I would guess that most target implementations will assume an iSCSI
    TCP port as the default, and the user or management station will
    only have to specify one if they want something different.

    > Additional comments:
    > Are there no needs to configure:
    > 1. Max Number of Sessions (per instance? per target? per portal?)
    > 2. Max Number of connections per session?

    I don't think so.  These are generally limited by the implementation,
    rather than by the user.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems