    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of Franco Travostino
    Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 11:31 AM
    To: ENDL_TX@computer.org; IPS Reflector
    Subject: Re: FCencap: Missing SOF/EOF characters

    At 12:54 PM 11/6/2001, Ralph Weber wrote:

      "This document describes common mechanisms for the transport
      of Fibre Channel frames over an IP network within the limitations
      of service provided by an IP network. The topics described in
      this document include the encapsulation format and a mechanism
      for enforcing the Fibre Channel frame lifetime limits."

    This proposed text comes a tad closer, but it's cryptic still.

    I am NOT willing to discuss Fibre Channel Classes in the draft
    because to do so would require adding a definition of the term.
    Fibre Channel Classes are not discussed in the draft as it is
    currently written.

    I agree that a definition/discussion would be way inappropriate here. A T11 citation should do the trick instead. We already have a sentence like "The format and content of an FC frame is described in the FC standards (e.g., FC-FS [3], FC-SW-2 [4], and FC-PI [5])." I don't see a problem with writing  "Scope is limited to FC Class 2 and 3,  which are described in the FC standard ([x]), and then adding [x] and the authoritative T11 document to Section 7 References. This direct and simple.

    -franco

    Ralph...

    Franco Travostino wrote:

    > Ralph,
    > why should we be waiting until 5.3 (last page) to break this news (e.g., Class 1 isn't supported)?
    > Can we move your text up to section 1, aptly titled "Scope". Alternately, we could narrow down the very title of the document.
    >
    > 0.02
    > -franco

Last updated: Wed Nov 07 08:17:36 2001
7605 messages in chronological order