    iSCSI: new state diagrams for rev09

    All:

    Consequent to the feedback I received both online and
    offline, iSCSI state diagrams are considerably revamped.
    Thanks to all those who provided the feedback.  The new
    state diagrams are posted at:

    	http://storage-arch.hp.com/iscsi_states_rev09.pdf

    The ASCII forms of the above are currently part of rev 08-90
    draft that Julian posted on his web.

    The major changes are -

    - The initiator and target state machines are split for
      both standard connection diagram and session state
      diagram.  It is hoped that this separation makes it
      easier to follow.

    - Several (informative, but) non-essential states were
      eliminated, since they were waiting for internal events
      (like acquiring resources) that are likely non-existent
      in good implementations.  That leaves us with a 7-state
      machine for both initiator and target.

    - The reduction of states has a salutary effect on the ASCII
      representation.  I was able to translate all the diagrams
      into ASCII!

    - The state descriptions are more descriptive now, specifically
      calling out the event(s) that the state machine is waiting
      for in that state.

    - The transition descriptions are also more descriptive,
      listing the set of events that causes the given transition
      for each of the roles.

    - The "connection recovery state diagram" has been renamed
      as "connection cleanup state diagram" since the word "recovery"
      was inadvertently overloaded.  Connection recovery (the
      act of reassigning the task allegiance to a different connection)
      happens outside the scope of this state machine depending on
      the operational ErrorRecoveryLevel - all this diagram
      specifies is the dynamics of gracefully closing an active
      iSCSI connection, perhaps replacing with a new connection.

    - Consequent to the above and for general clarity, some
      states have been renamed to reflect the "wait reason" better.

    - Certain missing/incorrect transitions are now fixed -
      like the "close the session" Logout handling etc.

    - I added some text on the first slide that describes the
      design philosophy behind the current model, perhaps also
      can be called design assumptions.

    I have only one (likely) open issue on my list.  I received
    feedback from one reviewer that the _description_ of the diagrams
    is not "traditional" - for example, the current tabular format
    captures the transitions (each caused by a set of events) in
    a state-state matrix, but does not describe them in terms of
    an event-state matrix for each state (which would run into
    several pages).  The current description scheme seemed quite
    acceptable to myself (and also to Julian among others) - but
    I am open on this.  Please comment if you strongly feel about
    this issue.

    Thanks!
    --
    Mallikarjun