    From: BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)
    [mailto:matthew_burbridge@hp.com]
    Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 04:21 AM
    To: 'Paul Koning'
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: Addition of CmdSN in Data-out PDU

    Since I started this thread I feel I must at least contribute!

    The reason why I proposed putting CmdSN (actually it should be RefCmdSN)
    in
    the Data-out PDUs was to enable the target to have a faster search to
    associate unsolicited data out PDUs with its SCSI Command PDU.
    Solicited
    Data-out PDUs do not require this as they have a Target Task Tag.

    If all Command PDUs were queued then I believe this would work just
    fine.
    However, as Santosh correctly pointed out they are not and without
    repeating
    what he said this mechanism would not work for immediate command PDUs.

    I am sure that particular implementations could make this work but the
    underlying argument is that it needs to work and be useful to all
    implementations.  The only benefit I now see of having CmdSN in the data
    PDU
    is as a check as implementations must (and can only) use the initiator
    task
    tag to associated the Data-out PDU with the command PDU.  Therefore, IMO
    it
    is not a good enough reason for having CmdSN in the Data-out PDUs simply
    for
    a consistency check.

    The benefit of having the data sent unsolicited to minimise if not
    eradicate
    round trip times far out weighs the overhead in having to perform a
    search
    on receipt of unsolicited data. If we could have developed a well
    defined
    mechanism to overcome this overhead then all well and good and that is
    what
    I attempted.  Still, if someone can do this and the solution is simple
    and
    straight forward then I am sure that it will have my backing but until
    then

    Cheers

    Matthew Burbridge
    Senior Development Engineer