    Re: Addition of CmdSN in Data-out PDU

    If we use the fact that the ITT-ordering of the unsolicited
    Data-out PDUs is identical to the ITT-ordering of the commands
    sent *within* a connection, then it should be possible to
    resolve the Data-out PDUs in a constant-time operation[*1]
    No hash and no cmdSN is required keep a per-connection
    chain within the command queue and look at its head.

    [*1]There are a couple of exceptions, due to the leeway the
        standard provides the initiator on Data-out PDUs.

    -Sandeep

    "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)" wrote:

    > Since I started this thread I feel I must at least contribute!
    >
    > The reason why I proposed putting CmdSN (actually it should be RefCmdSN) in
    > the Data-out PDUs was to enable the target to have a faster search to
    > associate unsolicited data out PDUs with its SCSI Command PDU.  Solicited
    > Data-out PDUs do not require this as they have a Target Task Tag.
    >
    > If all Command PDUs were queued then I believe this would work just fine.
    > However, as Santosh correctly pointed out they are not and without repeating
    > what he said this mechanism would not work for immediate command PDUs.
    >
    > I am sure that particular implementations could make this work but the
    > underlying argument is that it needs to work and be useful to all
    > implementations.  The only benefit I now see of having CmdSN in the data PDU
    > is as a check as implementations must (and can only) use the initiator task
    > tag to associated the Data-out PDU with the command PDU.  Therefore, IMO it
    > is not a good enough reason for having CmdSN in the Data-out PDUs simply for
    > a consistency check.
    >
    > The benefit of having the data sent unsolicited to minimise if not eradicate
    > round trip times far out weighs the overhead in having to perform a search
    > on receipt of unsolicited data. If we could have developed a well defined
    > mechanism to overcome this overhead then all well and good and that is what
    > I attempted.  Still, if someone can do this and the solution is simple and
    > straight forward then I am sure that it will have my backing but until then
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Matthew Burbridge
    > Senior Development Engineer
    > NIS-Bristol