    From: Santosh Rao [mailto:santoshr@cup.hp.com]
    Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 1:49 PM
    To: Jim Hafner
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: iscsi : target port definition

    Jim,

    I agree with your below ideas. However, they do appear to conflict with the
    iscsi rev 08 definition of the I-T nexus in Section 1.5.2 which reads :

    " c) I_T nexus - According to [SAM2], the I_T nexus is a relationship
    between
    a SCSI Initiator Port and a  SCSI Target Port.  For iSCSI, this relationship
    is a session, defined as a relationship between an iSCSI Initiator's end of
    the session  (SCSI Initiator Port) and the iSCSI Target's Portal Group.  The
    I_T nexus can  be identified by the conjunction of the SCSI port names; that
    is, the I_T nexus identifier is the tuple (iSCSI
    Initiator Name + 'i'+ ISID, iSCSI Target Name + 't'+ Portal Group Tag).

    NOTE: The I_T nexus identifier is not equal to the session identifier
    (SSID).
    "

    Per the above definition, the I-T nexus target end point is that target
    portal
    group, which is not the case when initiators choose to establish I-T nexi
    (sessions) to subsets of the target portal group, in order to export
    multiple
    scsi paths to upper layer wedge drivers.

    Further, initiators that establish sessions to a subset of the target portal
    group would not be able to take advantage of initiator specific mode page
    implementations on the target. All the I-T nexi (sessions) established by
    seperate initiator ports to a given target portal group would always share
    the
    same mode pages, since the target mode pages would be implemented on a per
    target portal group basis.

    Do you see any reasons why the definition of a target port should not be
    symmetric with the definition of the initiator port ? i.e. (iscsi target
    name
    + TSID) = target port. (= both port name & port identifier). This would more
    accurately model the target port to be the end point of the I-T nexus
    (session).

    Regards,
    Santosh

    Jim Hafner wrote:

    > Santosh,
    >
    > There are many alternatives here, but I think the simplest is to establish
    > multiple sessions to the one target portal group.  Each session can
    connect
    > to one, some or all of the target ipaddresses in the portal group, so you
    > have a lot of flexibility.  What you see then in the wedge driver is
    > multiple "SCSI Initiator Ports" in the host connecting to one SCSI Target
    > Port.  That should be sufficient for the multipathing logic.    So, it's
    > many to one, not one to many.
    >
    > Note that according to the model in -08, if there were more than one
    target
    > portal group, you could see two different things, depending on how you
    > implemented your host.  You could have an "implementation" of one host
    SCSI
> [...]
    > can subdivide its ipaddress space in any way it wants.   A high end target
    > with many many ip interfaces will probably do that.  Additionally, any
    > truly high end target (in the long term) will have many iSCSI HBAs (most
    > likely) each functioning as a target portal group and you'd see this
    > modeling FC (at the target side) closer.
    >
    > There might be other reasons besides multiple iSCSI HBA configuration for
    > the target to advertise multiple target portal groups. The SCSI Asymmetric
    > Port behavior for controllers in particular (for failover, primary
    pathing,
    > etc.) can take advantage of that kind of structure.  You may have a
    > dual-headed controller each with independent power supplies.  They might
    > have enough coordination to run sessions across all of them, but it might
    > make more sense to separate them.  [Give me more time and I can probably
    > come up with lots of other reasons too...]
    >
    > The model then is flexible enough to handle arbitrary software
    > implementations using arbitrary network or TCP hardware cards as well as
    > any implementations of iSCSI HBAs or any combination of the two. And
    that's
    > true on both the initiator and the target side.
    >
    > Jim Hafner
    >
    > Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 09/13/2001 05:37:45 pm
    >
    > Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >
    > To:   IPS Reflector <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    > cc:
    > Subject:  iscsi : target port definition
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a question on the interpretation of the iscsi target port
    > definition. The iscsi rev 08 defines the iscsi target port to map to an
    > iscsi target portal group.
    >
    > Thus, any iscsi target that wishes to allow multiple SCSI paths to be
    > established to the target node MUST provide at least 2 iscsi target
    > portal groups.
    >
    > The above definition of an iscsi target port somewhat alters the
    > semantics of a target portal group. A target portal group, by
    > definition, is a collection of a set of network portals within the
    > target across which a session can be spanned.
    >
    > Thus, if a target supports a multi-connection session spanning across
    > all its network portals, such a target would use a single target portal
    > group to indicate that 1 big fat session pipe could be established to
    > all its network portals. This, in turn, would have the side effect of
    > only providing 1 scsi path to the upper layer wedge drivers, if the
    > iscsi initiators establish a session per target portal group. [which is
    > the target port].
    >
    > >From an initiator's perspective, what should be the target side
    > end-point of an initiator's sessions when it may need to support upper
    > layer wedge drivers ? Should the initiator establish a session per
    > target
    > portal group [, in which case the above issue exists] ? Or, should it
    > establish a session per TargetAddress ??

Last updated: Fri Sep 14 17:17:06 2001
6543 messages in chronological order