    RE: iscsi : target port definition

    > Per the above definition, the I-T nexus target end point is that target
    portal
    > group, which is not the case when initiators choose to establish I-T nexi
    > (sessions) to subsets of the target portal group, in order to export
    multiple
    > scsi paths to upper layer wedge drivers.

    I think Jim is suggesting that the initiator would have to establish two
    "SCSI initiator ports" to the same target portal group, which would
    translate to two different ISIDs for this SCSI initiator node.  How does
    that conflict with this definition?  Upper layer wedge drivers shouldn't
    know the difference between two separate initiator ports providing the
    multiple paths or one initiator port connecting to two different target
    ports, right?

    > Do you see any reasons why the definition of a target port should not be
    > symmetric with the definition of the initiator port ? i.e. (iscsi target
    name
    > + TSID) = target port. (= both port name & port identifier). This would
    more
    > accurately model the target port to be the end point of the I-T nexus
    (session).

    Of course there are a number of combinations of possibilities for defining
    what comprises the SCSI port within iSCSI.  Initially the model did specify
    TSID as part of the target port identifier, but this seemed to create more
    "rules" to enforce at the target side (more restrictive than necessary) and
    the benefits of TSID vs target portal group were not compelling.  The idea
    of target portal group as the target port endpoint seemed to provide the
    necessary protection (against parallel nexus, etc) with the least amount of
    enforcement rules.

    Marj

Last updated: Fri Sep 14 17:17:06 2001
6543 messages in chronological order