    Flavours of Login

    I have been reviewing 07-91 and am struggling to understand the various
    flavours of login.  The one area that is really causing me concern is the
    way that an initiator is able to specify that it wants to perform session
    recovery.  This is required in the case that the initiator's session state
    is FAILED (Q4) but the targets is LOGGED_IN (Q3) as it has not detected a
    failure in the TCP connections.

    As a result I have put forward the following table for discussion.  Note
    that there are two proposals/methods for session recovery as I have no
    particular preference but it must be explicit and not implicit!

    If this has already been addressed please can someone point me in the right
    direction!!

    Matthew Burbridge
    Senior Development Engineer
    NIS-Bristol
    Hewlett Packard
    Telnet: 312 7010
    E-mail: matthewb@bri.hp.com

    Flavours of Login:
    +-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
    | TSID  | ISID  | CID   | X | Description                               |
    +-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
    |   0   | New   | New   | 0 | Initiator is creating a new session.      |
    +-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
    |   0   | Exist | New   | 0 | Initiator is trying to login after reboot |
    +-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
    | Exist | Exist | New   | 0 | Initiator is adding a new connection to   |
    |       |       |       |   | an existing session.                      |
    +-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
    | Exist | Exist | Exist | 1 | Initiator is attempted connection         |
    |       |       |       |   | reinstatement                             |
    | Exist | Exist | New   | 1 | Initiator is attempting session recovery  |
    |       |       |       |   | (Proposal A)                              |
    |   0   | Exist | New   | 1 | Initiator is attempting session recovery  |
    |       |       |       |   | (Proposal B)                              |

Last updated: Wed Sep 12 13:17:14 2001
6516 messages in chronological order