    Re: iSCSI - Change - Login/Text commands with the binary stage code

    Julian,

    > > As for the names - I though that security people might object having the
    > > name in clear if the security phase does not make use of the name.
    > > Otherwise we can mandate them on the login but I wonder if that is a real
    > > improvement or we are getting carelles.
    > >
    > > Julo

    The problem with these names (and hence the request from Steve and
    others
    earlier) is that it is not possible to know when the target wants them.

    Consider the following excerpts from your latest login proposal..

    > A target MAY use the iSCSI Initiator Name as part of its access control
    > mechanism; therefore, the iSCSI Initiator Name MUST be sent before the
    > target is required to disclose its LUs.

    The above is _very_ confusing..how can the initiator know if the
     the target is doing access control ?

    > If the iSCSI Target Name and/or iSCSI Initiator Name is going to be used
    > in determining the security mode or it is implicit part of
    > authentication, then the iSCSI Target Name and/or iSCSI Initiator Name
    > MUST be sent in the login command for the first connection of a session
    > to identify the storage endpoint of the session

    In both the above cases, how does the initiator know when the target
    requires these names?  The partial login response occurs *only* once.
    So when going from the security->operational phase, there is no
    indication that the target would like these names sent.

    There are 3 options here :
    (A) ALways send the names in the login command.  Simplify target
       and initiator and eliminate a few of those partial login
       response codes.
    (B) Maintain a configuration database (per-target) of when names
       must be sent - adds an administration burden.
    (C) Change the wire protocol to allow the target to indicate when
       the names must be sent - again more complications.

    To round up, I prefer Option (A).  These are just names and not
    passwords, so the security risks are minimal.  Are we trying to
    protect against traffic analysis ?

    -Sandeep