    Re: iSCSI: Status'es (clause 2.11.6)

    Jim-

    Comments are below.

    --
    Mark

    Jim Hafner wrote:

    > Folks,
    >
    > I have some questions, recommendations and editorial comments about the
    > status codes for iSCSI in clause 2.11.6.
    >
    > Proxy Required is defined as the response when "the initiator must use an
    > ISCSI proxy for this target".  But that isn't defined anywhere in the
    > document, so I recommend deleting this status code.

    We should define this, then.  If a target is accessible only through
    an iSCSI proxy, perhaps for security purposes, an initiator attempting
    to log in to it directly should get an error.  If the target is aware
    of the proxy, it can return the proxy's address in this type of redirect
    response.  This is similar to what was done in HTTP/1.1.

    Although this status code likely won't be used right away, it does
    have utility long-term when we start building larger storage networks
    with this stuff.  I still don't believe that all iSCSI devices will
    provide all of their own security code; other devices may have to
    provide this on their behalf, which was why we had added iSCSI proxy
    capabilities in the first place.

    > What's the functional difference between the following: "Security
    > negotiation failed" and "Forbidden Target"?  In both cases, the initiator
    > doesn't get to use what it thinks is there.  I would think that "Forbidden
    > Target" might be a security leak as it admits the fact that the target is
    > there, whereas if the initiator only got back failed security, that
    > admission wouldn't be made.

    Security Negotiation Failed means that the initiator could not
    be successfully authenticated.

    Forbidden Target means that the initiator was authenticated, but
    is not authorized to access the target.

    These are two different reasons for an initiator not to be able
    to get to a target, and would more useful to someone configuring
    an initiator than simply returning "not found".

    Keep in mind that when returning Forbidden Target, the initiator
    has been authenticated, so it's likely to be somewhere within
    the realm of things that the target trusts.  If the target wants
    to be more tight-lipped about this one, it could certainly return
    "Not Found" instead.  This adds a bit more security at the expense
    of making it easier to troubleshoot a mis-configured initiator.

    The names for these two status codes are perhaps a bit clumsy; perhaps
    renaming them will help.  How about:

    Authentication Failure instead of Security Negotiation Failed

    and

    Authorization Failure instead of Forbidden Target?

    > "Target Conflict" and "Service Unavailable" both look more like
    > "insufficient resources".  In particular, "Target Conflict" should not be
    > limited to a response in the 1->2 or more initiators case but in the n->n+1
    > initiators case.  That is, if the target has resources for 'n' logins, it
    > can reject another login with "insufficient resources", whether n=1 or
    > n=10.   So, I'd suggest that "insufficient resources" is a better catch-all
    > for both of these cases.

    We had this discussion on the list a long time ago.  Target Conflict
    is the initiator's problem; it should not be asking to connect to
    a target that someone else is using (assuming it supports only one
    initiator at a time).  Service Unavailable is the target's problem;
    it is used when the target is not working at all.

    > We need to clarify the "Session already open" to include language that says
    > "with this initiator to this target portal group".

    Agree.

    > The sentence immediately after the table says that "accept" means the
    > initiator may proceed to issue SCSI commands.  This is only true in a
    > Normal session type and is not true for the Discovery session type.  This
    > should be clarified.

    Agree here, too.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke