    RE: Preliminary London dates/times

    > There are no "FC" related topics, because there is a T11 (FC) meeting
    going on
    > the same week.  All "FC" related discussion was moved to a different
    meeting.
    > Why not move *all* IPS meetings to that meeting, and not have any IPS
    meetings
    > during IETF?

    I share some of Matt's frustration with the London logistics -
    between the T11 conflict, the London location making corporate travel
    restrictions harder to deal with, and the Monday to Friday gap between
    the currently scheduled IPS sessions, this is a distinct step down from
    what we've gotten used to from the past two IETF meetings.  As John
    noted, I've been trying to do something about the Monday to Friday
    gap between meeting sessions - something will either happen or not
    n the next few days as the meeting slot assignments become final.
    I've been keeping this quiet because publicly bashing the overworked
    staff at the IETF secretariat is generally not productive (e.g., want
    to try to hold an IPS WG meeting in a closet?).

    One of the reasons for IETF meeting weeks is that there are issues
    that span working groups and areas in the IETF - for IPS and iSCSI,
    these include security, framing, and discovery, just to name three
    issues that we're actively working on.  Having people with expertise
    and experience in these related topics in the same place at the
    same time is conducive to making progress on them.  This is
    considered to be crucially important by those with some familiarity
    with the IETF (including yours truly) and pays off regularly,
    sometimes in ways that one would not expect in advance.
    Remember that it's not just up to the visibly active members of
    the IPS WG to decide what goes into our RFCs - we have IPS
    WG Last Call, IETF Last Call, and IESG Approval to go through,
    and wider exposure of what we're doing helps get technical
    issues identified and raised earlier in the standards development
    process.

    Also, FWIW ... if we cancel the IPS meetings in London, the ADs
    will cancel the August interim meeting for us, leaving us in a
    position of having to beg for one 2-2.5 hour slot in Salt Lake
    in December. Needless to say, that's not a desirable outcome.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500