    Re: iSCSI:Text field in Asynchronous Message

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: Re: iSCSI:Text field in Asynchronous Message
    • From: Stephen Bailey <steph@cs.uchicago.edu>
    • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:08:23 -0400
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    > Both iSCSI and SRP have native Asynchronous Event Reporting IUs which can be
    > used for this type of purpose.

    I guess my point is that FCP doesn't, and it's the only currently
    deployed SAN solution.

    Beyond that, some SCSI stacks (Solaris, unless they've changed
    something recently....), don't provide support for clients to receive
    SCSI AENs.

    In other words, the useful support for SCSI AEN is patchy.  I'm not
    arguing that AEN support shouldn't be provided by a transport.  I am
    arguing that if you want your (target) solution to work on many
    platforms and transports, you might chose not to use AEN.  Prominent
    target vendors (e.g. LSI/Symbios) have taken this route.

    Steph