    RE: iSCSI: Stand alone SAN network configuration change notice.

    David,

    Would you describe DNS using UDP as a reliable transport?  A simple single
    packet request and response?  The EnterpriseSpecific Trap with SNMP on UDP
    port 162 could be used.  How would you implement acknowledgement?  Would you
    generate another trap indicating some expected action was not seen at some
    interval?  With all the 'below the transport' filtering being suggested for
    various IPS protocols, I tend to loose track as where to place these within
    the general scheme but I am happy to accept your clue-by-four. :)  I need
    all the clues I can get and found your input beneficial.  My concerns within
    the statement to Ran was reflecting on his bashing of the methods of
    establishing security together with my perception of an indicated need to
    change every protocol (which generated this thread).  I am waiting for
    further clarifications within the next iteration of iSCSI to see how Ran's
    bullets are dodged.  I saw my suggestion of an added ICMP signal as the
    lesser of the evils with an easy UDP back door.  Equipment likely to be
    generating these messages will be interested in communicating to the general
    machine (server) rather than any particular application and not likely tied
    directly to the end points of the transport.  I do not see these messages
    directly associated with any IPS transport, but rather a general network
    status notification.  I tend to view that level of communication rightfully
    done using the venerable ICMP.  That I see as the norm, but I could be
    wrong.

    RFC1157:
    4.1.6.7.  The enterpriseSpecific Trap
       A enterpriseSpecific(6) trap signifies that the sending protocol
       entity recognizes that some enterprise-specific event has occurred.
       The specific-trap field identifies the particular trap which
       occurred.

    Doug