    RE: iFCP implementation doubts

    Hi Sathya:

    There are no restrictions on the FC fabric topologies that an iFCP gateway
    can support, so a gateway implementation can support loops as well as
    switches.

    The switch topology shown in the spec is simply a convenient example,
    intended to show the transition from a fibre channel fabric to an IP fabric.
    (Since this issue has come up before, I believe it's worthwhile to discuss
    alternate FC topologies in an appendix to the iFCP spec.)

    > If Switch Topology:
    >
    > 1. what shall be the interaction between the iFCP gateway and
    > the Principal switch in terms of FC Domain address and N port
    > ID assignments?

    If the iFCP gateway is operating in address translation mode as part of a
    switched environment, then it simply receives its domain I/D from the
    Principle Switch.

    > 2. Is it possible for a iFCP GW and the FC Switch (Master) to
    > have transactions other than via the E-port

    Yes -- Another way is to emulate a hub, and present the FC devices as shown
    below.

    +----------+      +-------+     +------+FL     FC-
    +----------+  AL  |       |Cloud|      |
                      +-------+     |      |FL     FC-
                                    |      +<----->AL
                                    |      |Port
                                    +------+

    In the above topology, the left-hand iFCP GW presents the remote devices as
    loop-attached NL_PORTs attached to the FL port.

    +----------+      +-------+             +------+NL     FC-
    +----------+  AL  |       |             |      |
                      +-------+             |      |NL     FC-
                                            |      +<----->AL
                                            |      |Port
                                            +------+

    In this alternative topology, GW1 and GW2 present remote devices as NL_PORTs
    attached to a local loop.

    Once again, these are examples and other configurations are possible.

    > 3. Or the iFCP GW can take the functionality of even the
    > Principal switch?

    Yes.

    > 4. For an existing iFCP network will it be possible to add
    > the iFCP gateway  If so what will be the methods to handle
    > the already assigned addresses without any conflict.?

    In address translation mode, there should be no problem in gracefully adding
    an iFCP gateway, since the scope of the N_PORT addresses for locally
    attached devices is restricted to the GW.

    > If FC-AL Topology: ----- (if it is allowed by the iFCP )
    >
    > 1. Can we have the iFCP GW as the Loop Master in the FC-AL
    > and the FC Switch as one of the loop element?

    Yes -- as described above, a gateway can implement either role in a loop
    topology.  I assume the case you refer to above is one in which the FC
    switch element implements logical loop behavior by representing
    switch-attached devices as though they were connected to an FC-AL loop.

    > 2. If (1) is allowed then whether the Domain ID assignment
    > for the FC Switch is controlled by the iFCP GW or the
    > Switch can have its own domain ( i.e. ) the switch can be
    > independent on maintaining its FC domain by having a separate
    > iSNS Server as a repository for IDs.

    I'm not sure I understand the question.  As an FL port, the gateway would,
    of course, be in charge of domain ID assignment, in which case, it could
    then choose to operate in address-transparent mode and obtain its domain id
    from the iSNS server.

    Charles