    iFCP implementation doubts

    Hi all,
     I am working on iFCP/FCIP implementation for bringing up a LAN -SAN Switch. I have some doubts on the iFCP protocol implementation

    The iFCp document specifies a Switch topology for connecting the iFCP gateway , the master Switch and the FC elements. Is this topology a mandatory or can we go with a FC-AL configuration ?

    If Switch Topology:

    1. what shall be the interaction between the iFCP gateway and the Pricipal switch in terms of FC Domian address and N port ID assignments?

    2. Is it possible for a iFCP GW and the FC Switch (Master) to have transactions other than via the E-port

    3. Or the iFCP GW can take the functionality of even the Principal switch?

    4. For an existing iFCP network will it be possible to add the iFCP gateway  If so what will be the methods to handle the already assigned addresses without any conflict.?

    If FC-AL Topology: ----- (if it is allowed by the iFCP )

    1. Can we have the iFCP GW as the Loop Master in the FC-AL and the FC Switch as one of the loop element?

    2. If (1) is allowed then whether the Domain ID assignment for the FC Switch is controlled by the iFCP GW or the the Switch can have its own domain ( i.e ) the switch can be independent on maintaining its FC domain by having a separate iSNS Server as a repository for IDs.

    Thanx & Regards,
    N.Sathyanarayana,
    Member Technical Staff,
    GDA Technologies Ltd.,