    From: Eddy Quicksall [mailto:eddy_quicksall@ivivity.com]
    Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 3:50 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: iSCSI: immediate vs. unsolicited

    I see a semantic problem with the use of immediate being a subset of
    unsolicited. Being a subset, one can't use the word "unsolicited" by itself
    to mean "without the use of R2T" and some confusion is inevitable.
    I would like to propose a wording standardization of immediate data vs.
    unsolicited data.

    If we could use "immediate data" to mean data accompanying a command PDU and
    "unsolicited data" meaning data-out PDU's that are not solicited with an
    R2T, that would be a great help.

    If this seems like a good idea, I will be happy to go through and find all
    references to "immediate" and "unsolicited" and make suggested wording
    changes.

    Here is an example:

    Section:
          1.2.5 iSCSI Full Feature Phase

    Current:
       Outgoing SCSI data (initiator to target user data or command
       parameters) is sent as either solicited data or unsolicited data.
       Solicited data is sent in response to Ready To Transfer (R2T) PDUs.
       Unsolicited data can be sent as part of an iSCSI command PDU
       ("immediate data") or in separate iSCSI data PDUs.  An initiator may
       send unsolicited data either as immediate (up to the negotiated
       maximum PDU size) or in a separate PDU sequence (up to the negotiated
       limit)).

       Targets operate in either solicited (R2T) data mode or unsolicited
       (non R2T) data mode.  In unsolicited mode, an initial R2T is implied.
       A target MAY separately enable immediate data without enabling the
       more general (separate data PDUs) form of unsolicited data.

    Proposed:
       Outgoing SCSI data (initiator to target user data or command parameters)
       is sent as either immediate data, solicited data or unsolicited data.
       Immediate data is sent (up to the negotiated maximum PDU size) as part
       of an iSCSI command PDU ("immediate data"). Unsolicited data is sent
       in separate iSCSI data PDUs (up to the negotiated limit). Solicited
       data is sent in response to Ready To Transfer (R2T) PDUs.

       In unsolicited mode, an initial R2T is implied. A target MAY separately
       enable immediate data without enabling the unsolicited data.

    mailto:Eddy@Quicksall.com

    mailto:Eddy@Quicksall.com