    RE: SLP, iSNS, and iSCSI

    David,

    > [B] RFC 2610 specifies DHCP options for configuring
    > SLP Directory Agent locations and SLP scopes for both
    > User and Service Agents.  This would allow DHCP to be
    > used for centralized administration of an SLP
    > infrastructure, and works even when DHCP is not used
    > for IP address assignment.

    I'm not a DHCP expert, but in my limited understanding
    of the protocol, the DHCP server is not intelligent
    about who is asking for IP addresses and options.
    There is nothing to identify or authenticate a DHCP
    client making a request (other than the MAC), since it
    doesn't even have an IP address, not to mention an FQDN
    or any other identity.

    If this is true, I am puzzled as to how you can use
    DHCP to manage SLP scopes.  The DHCP server can't say
    "device A gets scopes X, Y, and Z", since it doesn't
    even know who device A is.  All it can do is hand out
    the same set of scopes to everyone requesting option 79.
    And that's all.  So how can you configure a complex set
    of overlapping scopes using a DHCP server???

    Lastly, I want to make sure everyone understands that
    support for FCIP is included in the iSNS out of courtesy
    to the FCIP community, and after close consultation with
    several key individuals from that community.  Since we
    are not implementing FCIP, I personally am neutral on
    whether it should be used for FCIP, although I do
    believe it would be of great value.

    Josh