    Re: iSCSI: response to second login (with same ISID)

    > However if two copies of an application attempt to open sessions to the same
    > iSCSI URL from the same host at the same time, the second should not disrupt
    > the first.  I'm not sure what will force them to have different ISID's, or
    > how they would even try to each pick a unique one.

    The above scenario should not typically result in the HBA driver sending
    out 2 logins on the wire, unless its open logic is broken. The open
    paths are typically single-threaded and the first of the 2 applications
    entering the driver open code would cause a login to go out on the wire
    with the 2nd one just bumping an open_count or ref_count of some kind
    within the HBA driver.

    The cases when an initiator would send out 2 logins on the wire would be
    ones like :

    a) Bug in the initiator driver open_count logic or open locking logic.
    b) Initiator's state out of sync with target's. (initiator thinks it is
    logged out with the target, but target thinks the initiator is still
    logged in.)
    c) Prior logout operation failed at the target.
    d) initiator failed to logout all sessions prior to reboot.

    In cases (b), (c) & (d), the initiator does want to re-login, and logout
    any stale session if active. In case (a) the driver is broken and not
    much forward progress will occur with such a version.

    The login semantics should be optimized for :

    a) Minimal time for initiator login operation. (Should not require some
    iterations of login to get a session going, while the initiator is in a
    "guess an ISID" game with the target. Also, should not require a login
    -> login reject -> logout of old session -> login of new session).

    b) Allow a scheme for clean up of stale session resources.

    Regards,
    Santosh
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088