    Re: iSCSI: response to second login (with same ISID)

    "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" wrote:

    >  Since
    > persistent reservations are SCSI layer things, lets try to find a way to
    > keep their implementation from forcing unnecessary limitations at the iSCSI
    > layer.  The use of init. name+ISID+target name for identifying persistent
    > reservations needs further discussion before we allow it to creep into iSCSI
    > protocol rules.  I've very uncomfortable with treating ISID like a fixed
    > address just because SCSI persistent reservations don't have a sufficient
    > SCSI layer mechanism.

    A fixed port identifier of some form is a basic O.S. requirement to be
    able to persistently bind the LUNs it sees to some form of device files.
    This binding is based on either a physical port identifier or name (ex :
    pSCSI target id, FC nport_id, FC port WWN) or in the case of logical
    service delivery ports like iSCSI to a logical port identifier such as
    the ISID.

    A fixed address usage is not only for persistent reservation semantics.
    The host O.S. SCSI stacks need *something* that allows them to
    persistently bind device files to the same LUNs on each reboot. The ISID
    is one form of achieving this.

    > Seems like this will force all kinds of layering
    > violations into iSCSI.

    Not clear why this is so. Consider the ISID as a logical port identifier
    that id considered as a SCSI transport layer endpoint.

    Regards,
    Santosh
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088