    Re: iSCSI: response to second login (with same ISID)

    "Martin, Nick" wrote:

    > All,
    >
    > I would hope for option 1.  There is no protection to prevent a user mode
    > program in a host from opening a TCP connection to the target and attempting
    > an iSCSI login using any SID it likes.  It could easily affect the operation
    > of another copy of this same application or of a kernel driver, neither of
    > which should have to suffer disruption.

    If I read Steph Bailey's comments on this right (from the ERT work), the
    target would have to authenticate the 2nd login on the same ISID [as it
    does with any other login] and only take action when authentication is
    successful. Such a malicious user program would not pass login
    authentication and therefore, would be unable to trigger such a
    disruption.

    > I would further suggest, that it would be appropriate for the target to
    > "test" the original session to see if it is still working.  If the original
    > session turns out to be non-operational although not explicitly logged out,
    > then it could be cleaned up.  When cleanup is successfully completed, there
    > is no conflict and the new request becomes a fresh login.
    >
    > I suggest that it is not required, but maybe not unresonable for the target
    > to delay the new login request while it tests and then potentially cleans up
    > after the previous user of this session id.

    This approach can lead to long latencies in servicing logins, affecting
    initiator boot-up time.

    Regards,
    Santosh
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088