    Re: iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.

    Jim,

    I agree that the only requirement is uniqueness of ISID among all the
    sessions to a given target node. Maintaining uniqueness across all
    targets only extends compliance to this requirement a step further and
    does not violate it.

    All we are debating is David's suggestion that a note could be added to
    indicate that implementations may choose to apply this uniqueness across
    all target nodes so as to use the ISID as a target lookup mechanism.

    If there is strong resistance against adding such a note, then, let us
    omit it. [as long as the spec does'nt preclude usage of ISID as unique
    across all targets].

    Regards,
    Santosh

    Jim Hafner wrote:

    > Santosh,
    >
    > As I've said, I agree with the sentiment, but that is not the only
    > implementation option.  For example, why can't the database index on the
    > pointer to the data structure that has the names, etc, or hash on the names
    > or a million other things.  We shouldn't spec implementations, only
    > interoperability requirements.
    >
    > Jim Hafner
    >
    > Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 05-08-2001 11:03:27 AM
    >
    > Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >
    > To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > cc:
    > Subject:  Re: iSCSI: multiple sessions b/n a pair of WWUIs.
    >
    > Douglas Otis wrote:
    >
    > >  The usefulness of ISID is also
    > > diminished if the client is not expected to maintain this value as unique
    > > across all Targets.
    >
    > I agree with the above and have stated to similar effect in my response
    > to Matt. A practical usage of ISID within an initiator node name space
    > is to assign it as unique across all targets, allowing the same ISID to
    > be used as a lookup key of the session for any given target port/node.
    >
    > Not applying uniqueness in ISID assignment across all targets would then
    > require initiators to implement a second key mechanism for target
    > lookup.
    >
    > - Santosh
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088