    Re: iSCSI : target session login behaviour

    "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)" wrote:

    > Hari,

    > Either:
    >
    > The two HBAs are operating independantly (i.e. sessions do not span HBAs)
    > and therefore should have some form of differentiation: e.g. a different
    > iSCSI Initiator name,

    One would hope that such mis-abuse of the Initiator Name (WWUI) is not
    repeated as was done with the FC Node WWN. The Initiator & Target Names
    (WWUI) are explicitly defined in the name-disc draft as :

    "The terms "initiator name" and "target name", when used in this
    document, refer to iSCSI Node Names."

    <snip snip>

    "The Initiator Name corresponds to the logical operating system on which
    the initiator is running, and the Target Name corresponds to the target
    Storage Node entity."

    <snip snip>

    "An iSCSI Name really names a logical software entity, and is not tied
    to a port or other hardware that can be changed.  For instance, an
    Initiator Name should name the iSCSI initiator driver, and not a
    particular NIC or HBA card.  When multiple NICs are used, they should
    generally all present the same iSCSI Initiator Name to the targets,
    since they are really to the same entity.  In most operating systems,
    the named entity is the operating system image.  Most hosts will have a
    single OS running; some of the really big ones could have multiples.

    A target name should similarly not be tied to hardware interfaces that
    can be changed.  A Target Name should identify the logical  target,and
    must be the same for the target regardless of the physical porton which
    it is addressed.  This gives iSCSI initiators an easy way to determine
    that two targets it has discovered are really two paths to the same
    target."

    The wording above should be strengthened from "should" to "MUST".
    Failure to do so could result in the same mis-abuse as has occured with
    FC Node WWNs.

    Ex :
    "For instance, an Initiator Name MUST name the iSCSI initiator driver,
    and not a particular NIC or HBA card."

    "When multiple NICs are used, they MUST present the same iSCSI Initiator
    Name to the targets, since they are really to the same entity."

    - Santosh

    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088