    RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-reqmts-03.txt

    > On page 18,
    >  "The iSCSI protocol document SHOULD NOT define the management
    >   architecture for iSCSI within the network infrastructure."
    >
    >  What does this mean?
    >
    > I think it means that the iSCSI protocol document SHOULD NOT
    > define the
    > management architecture.  The management architecture may be
    > defined within
    > in a separate document.
    >
    > I do not understand the phrase 'within network infrastructure.'

    My tendency to want to distill a concept into the most concise, least wordy
    expression has perhaps left *this* concept too meagerly defined. :-)

    "management architecture within a network infrastructure" refers to the
    concept that iSCSI will be yet another resource service within a complex
    environment of network resources (printers, file servers, NAS, application
    servers, etc).  There will certainly be efforts to design how the "block
    storage service" that iSCSI devices provide will be integrated into a
    comprehensive, shared model, network management environment.  A "network
    administrator" (or "storage administrator") will desire to have integrated
    applications for assigning user names, resource names, etc. and indicating
    access rights.  iSCSI devices presumably will want to interact with these
    integrated network management applications.  The iSCSI protocol document
    will not attempt to solve that set of problems, or specify means for devices
    to provide management agents.  In fact, there should be no mention of MIBs
    or any other means of managing iSCSI devices as explicit references in the
    iSCSI protocol document, because MIBs and management descriptions and
    protocols change with the needs of the environment and the business models
    of the management applications.

    Marj