    RE: iSCSI Target Reset

    [iSCSI added to subject]

    LOGICAL UNIT RESET breaks the reservations with the correct scope.

    According to a WinHEC presentation, the new STORPORT port driver will
    attempt resets in this order:
    1. LOGICAL UNIT RESET
    2. TARGET RESET
    3. Bus reset

    LOGICAL UNIT RESET isn't supported by all existing logical units, so
    a fallback scheme (with its unfortunate side effects) is necessary.
    This is mandatory as of SAM-2 revision 16, so new devices should
    start supporting it (on all protocols).

    TARGET RESET is the first level of fallback (medium hammer).  This
    is optional for protocols to support as of SAM-2 revision 16.
    Protocols that don't support it require their logical units to play
    nicely and support LOGICAL UNIT RESET.  Protocols that do support
    it leave themselves open to all the problems Fibre Channel went
    through.

    Bus reset is the final level of fallback (big hammer), which doesn't
    exist on serial busses.

    A miniport driver for SCSIPORT (the existing port driver) can convert
    a "target reset" request into LOGICAL UNIT RESETs for each logical
    unit known to that system to help limit the damage.

    From what I understand, Linux also relies on target resets and
    bus resets and will need some mid-layer work to play well in a fabric.

    ---
    Rob Elliott, Compaq Server Storage
    Robert.Elliott@compaq.com