    Re: iSCSI Target Reset

    Such large targets are also capable of features like target zoning which
    can restrict the impact caused by host[s] using the target reset.Host
    environments that deploy such forms of recovery are zoned to avoid
    disrupting I/O activity from other OS'. This restricts the scope of
    error recovery while not breaking legacy apps dependent on target reset.

    I'm aware of at least 2 high end FC arrays (one being the EMC Symmetrix)
    [and several mid-range arrays] that do support the target reset.

    - Santosh

    John Hufferd wrote:

    > Absolutely not,  Why would we think that impacting 32 different other
    > initiators is an OK thing to do.  By the way there are lots more Initiators
    > possible with FC on Shark, and would hope that there would be even more
    > with iSCSI.
    >
    > I have been told that these large Storage Controllers do not support Target
    > Reset today.  So I see no loss in not supporting such an item in iSCSI
    > especially since many Initiators will be beyond even the distances and
    > mischief that is possible with FC.
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > John L. Hufferd
    > Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    > IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    > (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    > Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com
    >
    > Santosh Rao <santoshr@cup.hp.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 04/23/2001 01:24:02 PM
    >
    > Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >
    > To:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > cc:
    > Subject:  Re: iSCSI Target Reset
    >
    > "Dillard, David" wrote:
    > >
    > > When will STORPORT be generally available?  The latest STORPORT document
    > > that I found on the MS web site is version 0.6a, dated March 18, 2001.
    > > Given this it seems like STORPORT might not be available soon.  In that
    > case
    > > do you know what happens with the current drivers?  Are we going to be
    > > telling customers that if they want to use iSCSI and NT clustering they
    > have
    > > to update to Whistler?
    >
    > [One would hope that this list does not turn into a Microsoft
    > release/product discussion mailing list (?) ]
    >
    > Without going into specifics of A certain O.S., does it suffice to
    > require that iSCSI not break existing legacy SCSI applications ?
    >
    > If the above is a valid requirement, then, knowing that legacy
    > applications continue to use SCSI-2 Reserve/Release and the target reset
    > as a mechanism of breaking SCSI-2 reservations, should'nt iSCSI continue
    > to support the target reset ?
    >
    > - Santosh
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088