    RE: iSCSI Naming: WWUIs, URNs, and namespaces

    Brian and Marjorie,

    There is a need to obtain iSCSI configuration information in a generalized
    way.  This information should allow the client to find the server using
    existing IP namespace information.  Forging connections within the server
    must use normal SCSI naming appended in some manner to the IP namespace.
    The SCSI naming should not be dereferenced to require an additional name
    server.  DHCP provides a standard means of indicating the location of LDAP.
    SLP also provides a standard means of locating LDAP.  There is a standard
    alias convention of ldap.example.com of finding the LDAP server and LDAP has
    be working with may security schemes for years.  Once an LDAP schema is
    defined by the IPS group, then any Directory User Agent can obtain any
    auxiliary information without the need for yet another name server.

    Marjorie had mentioned that some are considering XML to support this
    function.  You will need some way to find this service.  You will find
    little information regarding security and w3c.org conventions for naming are
    system not public based as I had mentioned.  Security issues regarding XML
    will be addressed.  Microsoft has announced their secure version of NT (XP)
    will use XML to manage updates through third parties.  I bet this will be as
    popular as Clippit.  With the desire to invent a new name server, XML
    namespace seems a likely bet.  It will be interesting to see if all this can
    be made secure.  It is a goal of Microsoft obviously and will keep w3c.org
    busy for many years.  It does seem rather bold to base management on such
    new code for something so critical.

    Doug