    RE: iSCSI Naming: WWUIs, URNs, and namespaces

    >  >The host name provides the level of uniqueness necessary
    >  >to allow iSCSI to ensure further uniqueness within that host.
    >
    > Not all iSCSI devices have a host name;  some use DHCP for IP address
    > assignment, particularly initiators.  An initiator needs a name that is
    > more unique than just within its host, so the target can identify it
    > (imagine all the initiators named "WindowsLaptop").

    My workstation uses DHCP to obtain an address, but it still has a hostname
    that is unique.  That's the great thing about hostnames, they aren't
    dependant on IP address - even when an initiator uses DHCP, it's hostname
    stays the same.

    If all the initiators are named "WindowsLaptop", that's an administrative
    problem, not iSCSI's problem to solve.  The adminstrators have the means to
    solve this problem - they do today for many other applications that use
    hostnames to identify workstations.

    > You could preconfigure the initiators with a primary hostname and a
    > backup hostname for the target, or use iSNS/SLP to learn its IP address.

    I'm not sure what you are advocating here, Thomas.  IP hosts typically
    already have a hostname configured, and their full host name is a product of
    their domain.  For instance, my domain qualified hostname is
    user55.rose.hp.com   It's unique enough for storage object naming purposes.
    I don't see any reason for iSCSI to define a new (or multiple) hostnames for
    initiators to use.

    I wouldn't think this is an "either or" situation.  Defining hostnames
    (initiator name) doesn't necessarily have anything to do with learning IP
    addresses.  I'm concerned that the N&D team is inventing things that don't
    need to be invented without understanding current IP practices.

    Marj