    Re: iSCSI: synch and steering comments

    Julian,

    >Mallikarjun,
    >
    >I am not sure about which comment. If it is about synch and steering I
    >think that recovery from header digest errors
    >should not mandate a synch mechanism.  Some very sophisticated
    >implementations may want to take advantage of such a mechanism if it is
    >there. As this interaction may fairly complex and implementation dependent
    >we will assume that we will drop the connection in the recovery
    >descriptions we will provide.

    Sorry, I am not clear on what you meant (keep in mind that that I am
    not asking to mandate a synch mechanism) -

    Are you saying that when synch and steering is not implemented in an iSCSI device:
      a) it can recover from header digest errors only by dropping the connection
         (which the ER algorithms would assume)
    OR
      b) it can recover from header digest errors by "fairly complex and
         implementaion dependent" mechanisms which rely on the Length field
         anyway, and try to analyze perhaps several PDUs for achieving the
         framing synch again?

    I am assuming that it would be (a).  I am also requesting that this be made
    clear in the draft.

    Here's the third comment at the bottom that you missed.  Your comments
    would be very helpful.  Thanks!

    -It appears to me that at least one Synch and Steering layer must be
     defined/referred to as the minimal implementation in the main draft to
     enable interoperability, when implementations do implement Synch and
    Steering.

    +++ why ? +++

    I may be using "interoperability" in a somewhat unconventional sense here.
    While the draft says that Synch and Steering layer is optional, I don't see
    that it requires implementations to always support a "no synch & steering"
    mode, even when they support one type of Synch and Steering layer.  Given
    that there's no mandatory Synch and Steering layer either, I don't see how two
    iSCSI boxes that a customer buys are guaranteed to interoperate.  Please
    comment if the draft already implies what I am asking for.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture