    RE: iSCSI ERT: data SACK/replay buffer/"semi-transport"

    >Sorry to have been missing for a while. Hope you will
    >appreciate my being back in action :-). It was a fairly
    >clear consensus in Orlando that applications broke up
    >their transfers into reasonably small chunks i.e. they
    >did not have very long running transfers.
    >
    >Therefore the consensus was that a command level recovery
    >mechanism was sufficient instead of an ack/sack for each
    >data PDU.
    >
    >The SACK mechanism was a post Orlando invention. Without
    >an ack mechanism (for every data PDU), the SACK mechanism
    >just imposes additional burden on either end of the session,
    >without really much benefit.

    To be fair to data SACK, one could think of an upper bound
    on the unack'ed data - agreed on at the login time.  While not
    requiring acks on every PDU, it gives targets the deterministic
    maximum on the buffer size they have to keep around if they
    choose to "reliably" support data SACK.  The current answer of
    "replay buffer size/IO size", IMHO, is simply not attractive.
    Also to be fair to data SACK, I believe FCP-2 allows sequence-level
    error recovery in an I/O.

    However, I think that it's extremely useful to include a discussion
    in the draft of  the TCP checksum "escape" statistics and the
    device types for which this was considered an absolute requirement
    to make forward progress at this error rates (like huge tape
    backups?) - essentially the reasons that convinced Julian to define
    this mechanism in. That gives credibility and acceptance to this,
    or alternately may lead to the consensus that data SACK is not required.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture