    RE: iSCSI: INQUIRY page 0x83 identifier

    Bob,

    I strongly agree with the requirement that these identifiers be WWUnique.
    But I also agree with Charles that whatever identifier that is presented
    should be the same regardless of the interconnect, so binding them to FC or
    to some defined iSCSI mechanism seems inappropriate.

    So, I think I'm agreeing the Rob Elliot.  Namely, specify a 128 format
    rooted in EUI-64 for the device. Back away from anything FC-specific in the
    format of the EUI-64. A vendor of a storage controller will probably have
    an EUI-64 for the device, though that might not be FC-based.  Use this as
    the basis for some vendor-specific algorithm to generate the LU identifier.
    Leave it to the vendor to define an algorithm that will provide the
    uniqueness.

    Also, I'd like to keep iSCSI from specifying any requirements on logical
    units (that's not the right space).  SPC-2/3 can spec a general format and
    the requirement for uniqueness.  Then leave it to the vendors to implement
    correctly.

    Does that sound reasonable?
    Jim Hafner

    Robert Snively <rsnively@brocade.com> on 01-26-2001 01:30:43 PM