    Re: iSCSI: Byte padding requirement question

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Wan-Hui,
    >
    > Yes it is a side effect of the marker and we could have made it optional
    > but it ends up being messy if you admit
    > non-symmetric situations in which you send markers but do not receive them
    > or viceversa.

    What makes it messy in non-symmetric situations?

    > As padding does not practically add too much I thought it would be simpler
    > for the implementers to have it always (and I've resisted previous requests
    > to include padding!).

    Besides keeping markers out of iscsi headers, the main reason for padding is
    that drivers want integers in the iscsi headers to always align on integer
    boundaries.  Otherwise, most risc based processors will have to do a byte copy
    to align the headers on integer boundaries.

    -Matt Wakeley
    Agilent Technologies