    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Charles,

    With respect to merging FCIP and iFCP encapsulation, there are many
    technical merits for doing so without looking at the marketing issues.  You
    have noted in your view of FCIP and iFCP as being in two separate markets
    and thus not likely to cooperate at the encapsulation level. It would seem
    you use marketing concerns in your positions.  I would hope however that
    this group would have the ability to bring these two segments of the SAN
    market a bit closer together.  I also see merit in the iFCP effort in that
    iSCSI is divergent with respect to existing markets.  There will be many
    areas where FCIP and iFCP will find common solutions with many common
    problems.

    In the spirit of furthering common goals, iFCP and FCIP should use a common
    encapsulation where possible.  I would not wish to bet if iFCP or iSCSI
    becomes a larger player in the marketplace.  Looking at complexity, I would
    not place too many chips on iSCSI.  I do not think this group needs to
    decide such winners and losers.  If there were two iSCSI solutions or two
    iFCP solutions then there would a reason to merge these proposals.  If there
    are two FC encapsulations proposals, this two should be merged.

    Doug