    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Regardless of native end to end IP SCSI transports, it is clear that we need
    to address the existing "legacy" Fibre Channel devices (I still hesitate
    calling Fibre Channel legacy, but that's a different story).  So, there is
    an obvious need for bridging the gap between current FC devices and the
    emerging IP storage networking realm.  On one hand we have a standard
    tunneling protocol (FCIP) which would require the use of 1 FC switch port
    and 1 FCIP "link extender" port on each side for each remote tunnel desired.
    On the other hand the, iFCP equivalent would only require the use of 1 port
    on the iFCP gateway (not per tunnel) which has the ability to route sessions
    individually to the appropriate end iFCP gateway.  Assuming that the E-port
    and L-port problems can be fixed, which supposedly should be no problem,
    iFCP definitely seems to be a viable solution.  Whether iFCP or FCIP is the
    functionality winner or not, I would say that it would be a loss for the IPS
    working group to discard iFCP.  Also, the iSNS protocol, compatible with
    both iSCSI and iFCP, has been accepted as a base for the iSCSI name service
    and it seems to me that using iFCP would provide a perfect match for future
    native iSCSI solutions to incorporate legacy FC devices over IP.  While FCIP
    does address the issue of extending a FC link over IP,  I believe that iFCP
    has added ip networking functionality and flexibility that is worth while
    for the IPS working group to incorporate.

    ...that's my 20 centavos.....

    Dan McConnell
    Storage Systems Group
    Storage Architecture and Technology Evaluation
    Dan_McConnell@Dell.com