    RE: iFCP as an IP Storage Work Item

    Hi David and Ken:

    I agree that a common encapsulation may make it marginally easier to build a
    multi-protocol box as well as having other benefits. However, from the
    above, I'm concerned that some might infer that multi-protocol support
    should be a requirement.  Just to be clear on this point:  While I'm all for
    doing things that encourage commonality (where it makes sense technically) I
    feel that a standard ought not to needlessly burden a product with
    supporting both architectures.

    With regard to 'negotiation', I believe such a handshake is unnecessary and
    undesirable.  In a real system, I can't see a scenario where it buys
    anything to make this dynamic.  As I see it, these choices are cast in
    concrete when the SAN is implemented and aren't going to change from day to
    day. Also, for hardwired boxes that only support one protocol, it simply
    adds complexity.  If someone wants to build a multi-protocol box, I believe
    they'd be better off making this statically settable.

    Charles