    RE: Urgent as Framing Hint

    > Dear Mr. Otis,
    >
    > You are a category by yourself - as the members of the IPS know since long
    > and the subscribers of end2end will learn soon.
    >
    > For the sake of the list it would be worthwhile if you could complain with
    > 2 simple rules:
    >
    > - read carefully a note before you answer
    > - write only about things you understand
    >
    > Both you and all the list members will gain - you some free time and the
    > list a lot of bandwidth.
    >
    > As for this note per-se - as it was pointed several times in the pas data
    > placement is all about
    > placing data in the buffer while data delivery is when the socket call
    > returns (or end is posted if async. I/O is supported).
    >
    > Julo

    Dear Mr. Satran:

    I have read your note and I must admit I do not understand it.  You are
    aware of the indicated need for "TCP Framing" to handle the event when a
    segment is lost as clearly indicated within the iSCSI proposal.  Your
    cryptic comment provides little light on this subject.  Could you take a
    moment to explain how you intend to use this "TCP framing" with a simple
    outline otherwise I will waste bandwidth guessing.

    I fully understand the 'excuse' that this is the same as Zero Copy TCP but
    as several people have indicted, TCP does not need framing for Zero Copy.  I
    can only surmise from the minimal details provided and by the comments of
    Marjorie Krueger that the intent is to run iSCSI specific code upon receipt
    of each TCP segment at the designated port to steer data to SCSI related
    buffers.  This is to remove the secondary copy process normally done by the
    iSCSI application.

    I understand the reasons.  I also understand there are many details not
    being shared with the group such as an answer to the question that I asked.
    How would you indicate upon "delivery" which segments have been properly
    parsed and had the data redirected?  Explain how your double-speak makes a
    modification of TCP not a modification of TCP.  Surely you are not
    suggesting that the only important aspect of TCP is when the socket call
    returns?

    Your free time and bandwidth loving friend,
    Doug